• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

L2 to f1 COS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thomasfred

I have started my masters in fall 2015. I am currently on L2 visa. I have applied for F1 COS and got an approved letter - but the COS will be valid from September 1 2016 I would want to go to my home country and convert my visa to f1. My university suggested me the following options and risks

Option 1. Go to home country now and apply as a fresh visa COS gets cancelled
Advantages If visa is accepted , I could back to US on F1 student.
Disadvantages The advisors in my university told me I could be subject to adminstrative processing which could go beyond 3 months because I already applied and got an approval for COS f1 status . However I need to report to university by Sep 1 or will be terminated.
My doubt for option 1

1. What really is adminstrative processing and does it really take that long?

2. I have finshed 5 courses with the university- so I am a current student- would they be able to terminate from the univeristy or only for that particular semester if Im subject to administrative processing and delays and I dont return by September 1

3.My advisor also said they spent a lot of work on the f1 cos and applying again would be a fresh start - I am not sure if im thinking right.But I feel my advisors dont want to re do the paper work as I already got an approval for COS f1. im not sure - but i just had this thought too in my mind-Am I thinking right? Option 2. Continue staying in the country and my status would be active from September 1.

And i could go in december vacation. My doubts for option 2 By the end of december - I would have only 1 course left.From what i read the chances of rejection are higher as the course list gets lesser. Also, for Option 2, if my visa is rejected, I would still have to apply again and again may not be able to return within the university due date. From the provided options - I see there are risks in both and im confused in trying to chose an option

.Please help me if my understanding for each option is right and which would be more feasible to go for? OR is there a better option which i am missing on? Thank you for your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">