• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

L2 to H-1B1 Change of Status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

valentina1234

What is the name of your state? GA

Hello, I have a few questions related to a - L2 to H-1B1 Change of Status (COS) -. Hope someone can help me.
I’m currently working in the US with an L-2 visa (with an EAD). The visa expiration date is March 30, 2016 (same as I-94) so my employer wants to start the application for an H-1B1 (COS). It is the same employer and I have never applied to an H visa before.

I have the following questions:
• From what I understand, there is a quota of 1,400 per FY for H-1B1 Chileans. Has this quota been filled on previous years?
• If my employer starts my application ASAP and the H-1B1 is approved. Can I keep working with the new status on April 1st, 2016 (following day of my L-2 expiration)?
• If the previous is possible, that means I’ll be applying for FY 2016? Or I’m too late and I will have to apply for FY 2017? I’m confused about the October 1st start date.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">