• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legally leave the states with no penalty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

waterfall801

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My question is kind of complicated. I am a minor from Australia (15) that has been living in the united states for over a year without a green card. I entered the states on a wayver and decided to stay and my dad applied for my green card. Apparently it takes 6 years since he is also a immigrant. I no longer want to stay in the states and want to go back home. We have seen a lawyer and they said if I leave now I will be banned from the u.s for 10 years and its not likely for me to ever be able to enter again. Is there any way for me to leave the country legally without any penalty?? And straight away. Also we suspect that they lost my green card because we never got a reference number or a confirmation letter. Thanks,
Ruby Davies.
I have looked everywhere for a solution I really do not want to be here in the states but I have my dad here so I don't want to get banned. Thanks.

OHRoadwarrior

If you leave as a minor, you should be fine.

9 FAM 40.92 N4.1 Minors
(CT:VISA-1741; 10-13-2011)
Any period of time that an alien spends unlawfully in the United States while under
the age of 18 would not count toward calculating the ac
crual of unlawful presence
for purposes of INA 212(a)(9)(B).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">