• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage with an USA Citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcucles

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Well. .. I m gonna get married with my boyfriend. He´s an American citizen, but I´m here like a tourist, so my question is, how many time we have to wait for getting married? Because I´m into USA from july 31, then some people say that we have to wait at least 2 months, is that true?

FlyingRon

You can get married anywhere from immediately to a few days depending on what state you are in.

The issue is what happens with your non-immigrant visa and subsequent attempts to adjust status. If you came here to marry him on a Tourist or VWP, you broke the law when you came here. You were supposed to get inline for a K-1 like everybody else rather than lying and cheating. It is in your best interest then to wait to forestall future problems. What you are alluding to is that after 60 days pass (which is roughly what it would have taken to do it right), there's a presumption that you were not acting in bad faith when you came here. If you marry within 30 days there is a presumption that you were in bad faith. 31-60 is a gray area, but it's stacked against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">