• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

married for green card...now divorcing. help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soinnocent

What is the name of your state?

Ohio

I hope someone can help me....

Two years ago my best college buddy told me that his student visa was in jeopardy due to his poor academic standing. For this he had no other choice but to go back home to Africa. He said the only way he could remain in the states was to marry an American citizen. Of course, I took the bait and we were married within a week. We lived as husband and wife until I became pregnant to which he responded by moving out saying he didnt want to be trapped. After unsuccessfully trying to reconcile for the baby's sake, I naturally want a divorce. Unfortunately my sister informed me yesterday that I could be in some serious legal trouble because what we did is considered a crime? I don't know what to do! He's planning to leave the country now I guess forfieting his pending citizenship leaving me to raise the baby without even his financial support. And now I may even go to jail??? Someone please help me! :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">