• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marry with foreigner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

username04

What is the name of your state? California
My friend is married with an US citizen 1 year ago, she and her children currently have temporary green card now. However, a US citizen wants to divorce her. The questions are: 1) Will she and her kids be deported back to where she came from? 2) If so, what could be done in order for her to stay here in US. 3) Is there a web site tells me all the laws about this type of situation. Thanks in advance.

zxed

username04 said:
What is the name of your state? California
My friend is married with an US citizen 1 year ago, she and her children currently have temporary green card now. However, a US citizen wants to divorce her. The questions are: 1) Will she and her kids be deported back to where she came from? 2) If so, what could be done in order for her to stay here in US. 3) Is there a web site tells me all the laws about this type of situation. Thanks in advance.
1. In simple terms, she is being sponsored by her husband, if he files for a divorce then the husband-wife relation doesnt exist, so technically the visa would also not exist, however........ it doesnt always end up as that.

the divorce will be complicated, it will not be a quick divorce, it will take a minimum for 6 months so if she has been on a temp gc, so if she pulls it off, she will be able to stay if she removes her condition of residency.

did she marry him just for the green card?

evcalyptos

zxed said:
1. In simple terms, she is being sponsored by her husband, if he files for a divorce then the husband-wife relation doesnt exist, so technically the visa would also not exist, however........ it doesnt always end up as that.

the divorce will be complicated, it will not be a quick divorce, it will take a minimum for 6 months so if she has been on a temp gc, so if she pulls it off, she will be able to stay if she removes her condition of residency.

did she marry him just for the green card?
I appreciate that you want to help, but your answers are not all correct and can be dangerous.
The OP doesn't need a visa; she has a Green Card.

And, she needs a divorce lawyer and an immigration lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">