• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marrying a foreign national currently legally in the US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ian withheld

Hi, I'm trying to find out details on what the process is like for marrying a foreign national (currently a student on a F1 Visa). We're both in Washington, if that's relevant. I'm especially interested in how much I should expect it to cost, and how long before she might be able to work- she's most likely going to be severing her ties with her parents over this, and they currently financially support her, and she's not allowed to work on her student visa.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,
Ian

ImmigAttyLana

There are legal fees involved, if you choose to go with an immigration attorney, and USCIS filing fees, which are involved regardless of whether you do it on your own or through an attorney. The attorney's fees will vary from one to another. The filing fees for USCIS will be $1490 and will include all the forms you will need. As for employment authorization, she will have that within 90 days of filing for the adjustment of status.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter. I handle these types of matters for clients nationwide and would be happy to discuss the process and your concerns with you.

Ian withheld

Thank you very much for your response. I will probably be contacting you soon as I do have some further questions, although the situation has changed a bit.

-Ian

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">