• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marrying an illegal immigrant...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Loki

What is the name of your state? KY

Hi, my boyfriend is British and came here two years ago legally. His visa expired, but now we want to get married and apply for permanent status for him.

I need to know what will happen when we go to get married and what to expect afterwards. He was not working here illegally, as he was working only for the British company he owns.

Thanks in advance.

nany

Hi, my boyfriend is British and came here two years ago legally. His visa expired, but now we want to get married and apply for permanent status for him.

I need to know what will happen when we go to get married and what to expect afterwards. He was not working here illegally, as he was working only for the British company he owns.

Thanks in advance.
I don't see any problem, the only thing will be that he might need to pay a fee for staying here with an expired visa.

AHA

Thanks in advance.
Since he entered legally, he is able to get married and apply for Adjustment Of Status. Find forms and fees on uscis.gov.

seniorjudge

Since he entered legally, he is able to get married and apply for Adjustment Of Status. Find forms and fees on uscis.gov.
Educate me.

Where on that site does it say that an illegal alien may gain citizenship by marrying a United States citizen.

SHORTY LONG

I agree with the Honorable SeniorJudge. The guy is now a criminal under
the laws of the United States Department of Homeland Security.

OP, you all should have gotten married while he was still considered legal in
the United States.

Hope his British Company makes lots of monies, because he will need them
for a good Immigration Attorney.

ImmigAttyLana

This is ridiculous. He is not a criminal and he IS eligible for adjustment of status in the US on the basis of valid marriage to a US citizen, even if he is now out of status as long as he entered the US lawfully.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

seniorjudge

This is ridiculous. He is not a criminal and he IS eligible for adjustment of status in the US on the basis of valid marriage to a US citizen, even if he is now out of status as long as he entered the US lawfully.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Educate me.

Give me a cite to the law that says that an illegal alien may gain citizenship by marrying a United States citizen.

Thank you.

AHA

Educate me.

Where on that site does it say that an illegal alien may gain citizenship by marrying a United States citizen.
The law is different for illegals who entered the US legally and for illegals who snuck across the border. If someone enters the US on a valid visa but overstays and marries a USC, he/she can apply for AOS and subsequently years later citizenship.

seniorjudge

The law is different for illegals who entered the US legally and for illegals who snuck across the border. If someone enters the US on a valid visa but overstays and marries a USC, he/she can apply for AOS and subsequently years later citizenship.
Educate me.

Give me a cite to the law that says that an illegal alien may gain citizenship by marrying a United States citizen.

Thank you.

Snuck?:D

AHA

Educate me.

Thank you.

Snuck?:D
Ask USCIS, they are the ones that have decided that it's allowed for someone who ENTERS the country legally, and marries a USC, to apply for a Green Card. No one becomes a USC simply by a wedding ceremony.

seniorjudge

Ask USCIS, they are the ones that have decided that it's allowed for someone who ENTERS the country legally, and marries a USC, to apply for a Green Card. No one becomes a USC simply by a wedding ceremony.
What statute, ordinance, rule, law, back of the cereal box, whatever is the basis for your statement?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">