• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marrying outside the US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sisconcerned

What is the name of your state? California

Good day. I would like to ask a question regarding some immigration laws and i know you can provide me with the best answers to my questions. i would truly appreciate your help.

I have a sister who has an american boyfriend. Recently her boyfriend came to our country, the Philippines, to marry her. they are thinking of getting married at the US Embasy in Manila. My question is will it be possible to get married there? My sister is married in our country but filed a divorce in the US after she unfortunately overstayed there for 6 months. That is when she met her boyfriend, and decided to go home after six months of living with him. Her boyfriend followed her here in the Philippines and asked her to marry her in the US embassy since she could not get married in our country because we do not honor divorce in the Philippines. here are my questions:

1. is it possible to get married in the US Embassy in Manila?
2. If ever they get married in the US Embassy, how long will it take for my sister to be able to go to the US with her husband?
3. My sister has a daughter, can she take her with them in the US?
4. Can they go to the US even if their petition papers are still being processed? will they be allowed to go to the US even though the petition is still being processed?
5. my sister overstayed in the US for 6 months, will that have an effect on her petition in case they get married in the US Embassy in Manila?

I hope you could answer all my questions. thank you so much and more power

evcalyptos

sisconcerned said:
What is the name of your state? California

Good day. I would like to ask a question regarding some immigration laws and i know you can provide me with the best answers to my questions. i would truly appreciate your help.

I have a sister who has an american boyfriend. Recently her boyfriend came to our country, the Philippines, to marry her. they are thinking of getting married at the US Embasy in Manila. My question is will it be possible to get married there? My sister is married in our country but filed a divorce in the US after she unfortunately overstayed there for 6 months. That is when she met her boyfriend, and decided to go home after six months of living with him. Her boyfriend followed her here in the Philippines and asked her to marry her in the US embassy since she could not get married in our country because we do not honor divorce in the Philippines. here are my questions:

1. is it possible to get married in the US Embassy in Manila?
2. If ever they get married in the US Embassy, how long will it take for my sister to be able to go to the US with her husband?
3. My sister has a daughter, can she take her with them in the US?
4. Can they go to the US even if their petition papers are still being processed? will they be allowed to go to the US even though the petition is still being processed?
5. my sister overstayed in the US for 6 months, will that have an effect on her petition in case they get married in the US Embassy in Manila?

I hope you could answer all my questions. thank you so much and more power
1-No it is not possible to marry in the US Embassy.
2-A visa for a spouse takes abouit twice as long as one for a fiance.
3-Maybe.
4-No. Your sister must wait for a visa from Manila. This will take the best part of one year to complete.
5-Yes, she may have a ban on her re-entry that requires a waiver.

Considering everything, if your sister is sincere, she should tell her boyfriend to wait and let him get in touch with some immigration lawyers. There are two major red flags ini her case and there may be others. This is not going to be a straight forward do it yourself case. If she wants to move to the US, she will have to tolerate a little wait.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">