• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marrying someone from different country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

akk120

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
i would just like to know us law on marrying someone who is from another country...is there anything that we would have to do or....??? any help would be appreciated, as i have no idea where or what to do thanks

evcalyptos

akk120 said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota
i would just like to know us law on marrying someone who is from another country...is there anything that we would have to do or....??? any help would be appreciated, as i have no idea where or what to do thanks
Yes dear, you have quite a bit to learn before you jump.
For starters:

Is the foreigner inside the US or outside?
If inside, how did they arrive (what type of visa)?
If outside, where do you plan to marry?

Where do you both want to live, US or elsewhere?

Are you a US citizen?
Do you or the foreigner have children that will live with you?
Do you meet the poverty guideline for your household size? (minimum $16000/year salary)

That's a start, anyway. I really encourage you to learn some more before you make a move; you will have some choices coming up.

james-t-kirk

question about fiance visa

my fiance and i are applying for the k1 fiance visa... but she is also scheduled to interview for a tourist visa (it will be her first time in the usa, i met her in her country)... we are very eager to marry... is there a quicker way? for instance... if she is able to come on a tourist visa, is there a way we can marry while she is here?

ImmigAttyLana

Your fiancee is unlikely to be able to get a tourist visa if the reason for her visit is to come to get married in the US. Depending on what country she is from, she is much more likely to just get the fiancee visa once the petition for this type of visa is approved by the USCIS.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

james-t-kirk

fiance visa question (continued)

Thank you Lana, if i may bother you again though... honestly marriage is not the purpose of the tourist visa, it was more of an afterthought. i will not be able to go see her again (in brazil) until the end of October, so she arranged things so that she could come see me (assuming the tourist visa is approved) for three weeks in July. We were talking and wondered if it was possible though... we don't want to do anything illegally, but we are very anxious to marry. She does have many responsibilities in her city, but it is possible for her to wrap things up.

Izabela

I need help!

undefined :)
I live in California, San Diego.I am planning to marry a guy with green card.Woould I be able to travel over seas? I am from Europe.If somebody could help I will apreciate alot.My e-mail is [email protected]k u so very much

evcalyptos

YO!
All of you:
On this discussion group, you are requested to start your own thread, not jump in with unrelated questions on someone else's thread.

It is illegal to enter the US as a visitor with the intention of immigrating.

Marrying someone with a Green Card is a good way to spend the first 5 years of your marriage apart.

Good luck to you all; post away!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">