• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marrying a South African Citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Andidee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I intend marrying a South African Citizen, and would like to know how to go about it, she currently has a 10 year B1/B2 visa . Would it be better to get married in South Africa or in the USA and what are the legalities with regards her entering and exiting the USA. Is there any additional information that we should be aware of that could compromise her living in the USA. What docuentation needs to be filled in and if we do get married in SOuth Africa will she be able to enter the USA immediately on her B1 visa or do we need to fill in other documentation prior to her entering the USA

Many thanks

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I intend marrying a South African Citizen, and would like to know how to go about it, she currently has a 10 year B1/B2 visa . Would it be better to get married in South Africa or in the USA and what are the legalities with regards her entering and exiting the USA. Is there any additional information that we should be aware of that could compromise her living in the USA. What docuentation needs to be filled in and if we do get married in SOuth Africa will she be able to enter the USA immediately on her B1 visa or do we need to fill in other documentation prior to her entering the USA

Many thanks

The appropriate visa for the spouse of a US citizen is called an Immigrant Visa. The US citizen begins the process after the marriage, with a form called "I-130 petition". The SA citizen will be invited to apply for a visa after the petition is approved.

The B visa is ok for visiting, but is not the correct visa for moving to the US permanently.

Please see uscis.gov and search "How Do I Bring My Spouse (Husband or Wife) to Live in the United States?"

Where you marry may be decided by your families, where you are at this time, what your plans are.. too many variables for me to have a preference.
I have a feeling you are not asking the right question. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">