• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marrying a US citizen with past legal problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

justanothergirl

What is the name of your state? MI

I'm about to marry a US citizen, this guy I've been seeing for quite some time now. Unfortunately he was incarcerated for 3 months in a drug related charge. I need to know whether this would affect the marriage at all as far as INS is concerned.
Thanks

ImmigAttyLana

It should not since he is the US citizen and not the foreign national. As long as he is legally able to marry and can provide all the necessary documentation, including ability to support you, etc. it should not be an obstacle to your getting your permanent residence on the basis of that marriage.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need further assistance with this matter.

J

justanothergirl

Thank you very much for your reply. However I did fail to mention that he is currently on probation and will be for another year. I know that probbably immigration is going to have a field day on this as I've heard a few somewhat scary stories, but I'm now contemplating whether to wait until his probation runs out or go ahead and tie the knot on our planned date.
Any additional advice would be much appreciated.

ImmigAttyLana

That is really of little consequence since he is not the foreign national would-be spouse who would be applying for immigration benefits but he is the sponsor US citizen would-be spouse. When you get married is not important for these purposes.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need further assistance with this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">