• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

miles apart, please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lorna

I met my boyfriend online and after a year of visiting each other, huge phone bills and dealing with time differences we want to make it permanent and get married. He is a US citizen and I am from the UK.

He has given up his social security number, driving licence & licence to practice his vocation and now lives by doing small pieces of work and selling on ebay. he does not claim any benefits. He has assets worth over $400,000. but has put the main ones into the names of his children as it will be their inheritence. He hasnt earned enough money to post tax returns and hasnt done so for the past few years.

What can we do to ensure we can get married?

Are his assets enough to cover the financial statment thing?

Will he need to get another social security number?

Will it help if I open an account in the US next time I am there and ensure we have funds in it?

what about the 90 day visitor visa, how long do you need to be out of the country before you can come back in?

So many question..! ANy advice would be greatly appreciated

I just want to add after reading the last thread. We are both educated and pay our own way life, neither of us want to live off the state and are equiped with the qualifications and skills to ensure that we do not need to do so.

Last edited:

High&Low

"He has given up his social security number, driving licence & licence to practice his vocation...."

What do you mean he "gave up" his social security number? That is not something he can "give up".

Are you saying he did not renew his driver's license and didn't pay whatever fees required to keep his license to practice whatever profession he had before? Your post is a little bit confusing. You don't need a driver's license nor be a licensed professional to get married though..if that's what you are asking.

90 days visitor visa - it depends on what the immigration agent may say at the airport when they see multiple entries on your passport. Check if UK has a "mutliple entry visa".

Why doesn't HE move to your country instead of you coming here? It seems like you have more money than he does... just a thought.

wusun5

Download skype for free and you and he can talk over the Internet for free. http://www.skype.com/

This will save on the phone bill. I would be concerned about him giving up licenses, social security number etc.

Litigation!

"He hasnt earned enough money to post tax returns and hasnt done so for the past few years."

My response:

Obviously, he's not too smart if he feels he doesn't need to file a Federal Tax Return. He must be from Georgia or Alabama. Someday, his next home might be a Federal Penitentiary.

IAAL

AHA

Lorna said:
I met my boyfriend online and after a year of visiting each other, huge phone bills and dealing with time differences we want to make it permanent and get married. He is a US citizen and I am from the UK.

He has given up his social security number, driving licence & licence to practice his vocation and now lives by doing small pieces of work and selling on ebay. he does not claim any benefits. He has assets worth over $400,000. but has put the main ones into the names of his children as it will be their inheritence. He hasnt earned enough money to post tax returns and hasnt done so for the past few years.

What can we do to ensure we can get married?

Are his assets enough to cover the financial statment thing?

Will he need to get another social security number?

Will it help if I open an account in the US next time I am there and ensure we have funds in it?

what about the 90 day visitor visa, how long do you need to be out of the country before you can come back in?

So many question..! ANy advice would be greatly appreciated

I just want to add after reading the last thread. We are both educated and pay our own way life, neither of us want to live off the state and are equiped with the qualifications and skills to ensure that we do not need to do so.

I don't understand the "giving up his SSN and drivers license", what do you mean?

He will need to show that he has sufficient income (according to uscis's criteria) to support the two of you AND show tax returns for the past 3 years. If he doesn't have the tax returns, he has probably not been earning enough to fulfill the income criteria and will have to find a co-sponsor in order to petition for you.

Since you are planning to move here, I don't understand why you are asking how often you can use the 90 day visa waiver? If you want to move here you HAVE to have the accurate visa for that. It is illegal to enter the US as a tourist with intentions of remaining here.

evcalyptos

Thought about running a background check on this guy? It sounds from the outside like he has fed you a load of bullcrap. He's cheating the system somewhere and telling you porkies.
Regardless, he has to submit his most recent tax return and show a current income of roughly $17000. That figure, by the way, is high enough to ensure that had he earned/reported it he would be required to file an income tax return. Assets that are "his" but in his kids name are his kids, by the law, and don't do anything for you or him.
If ebay is his primary occupation, he must pay tax on that income.

A person can not "give up" their social security number-it is yours for life. Either you misunderstood, or we're back to porky pies.

You may NOT live in the US 90 days at a time. If you use the VWP for its full term more than once in a year, you are running a significant risk of being returned at the airport and refused entry.
I'll underscore what AHA wrote, in case you missed it or don't understand: it is illegal to come to the US on the VWP with the intention of adjusting your status and staying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">