• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving from US to Western Europe

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lanka

:confused:I am a Green card holder. I live in the US almost 6 years now. Originaly I am from Eastern Europe and I would love to go back to live in Western Europe. How can I relocate from US to Western Europe as a Green card holder. Do I must become US citizen first ? And if yes how long do I have to live after getting citizenship before I leave to Europe ?

Thank you

ImmigAttyLana

Yes, you would first have to become a US citizen in order to be able to reside permanently abroad and not lose your status.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

evcalyptos

:confused:I am a Green card holder. I live in the US almost 6 years now. Originaly I am from Eastern Europe and I would love to go back to live in Western Europe. How can I relocate from US to Western Europe as a Green card holder. Do I must become US citizen first ? And if yes how long do I have to live after getting citizenship before I leave to Europe ?

Thank you
If you have had your Green Card for 5 of those years, you may now be eligible to apply for US citizenship. Getting it is the only way you can be assured of returning to the US after a long absense. Your home country may have rules regarding dual citizenship that you want to look into before you apply for US.

The naturalization process takes --about--6 months, maybe longer in some Districts. Once you take your Oath, you can leave the US as soon as you have a US passport.

Go to uscis.gov and look on the left for the links about Citizenship to read the Guide to Naturalization. It will help you figure out if you are eligible to apply, and explains the process in detail.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">