• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my Australian mother entitled to any benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zephercan

CA.) Hello... I have a question concerning my 80 year old Mother. I am wondering if she is entitled to any financial benefits. She came to the United States as a young adult. She came legally from Australia but never got her citizenship in the US so technically she is still an Australian citizen. She married my dad(contractor) and remains his secretary to this day(50 yrs). Unfortunately she always worked off the books. I understand she cannot receive ssi because she has no work history here.
Could she be eligible for any type of benefits from either country?
Thanks for taking the time to read my concern.
C.

sandyclaus

CA.) Hello... I have a question concerning my 80 year old Mother. I am wondering if she is entitled to any financial benefits. She came to the United States as a young adult. She came legally from Australia but never got her citizenship in the US so technically she is still an Australian citizen. She married my dad(contractor) and remains his secretary to this day(50 yrs). Unfortunately she always worked off the books. I understand she cannot receive ssi because she has no work history here.
Could she be eligible for any type of benefits from either country?
Thanks for taking the time to read my concern.
C.
She doesn't appear to be entitled to receive any US benefits because of the fact that they never became naturalized, nor has she worked legally here due to the fact that she has and continues to work off the books.

As for Australia, I can't say for sure. We don't handle questions regarding non-US Law here. However, I suspect that not only would she not be entitled to benefits from the Australian government, but she may actually owe taxes in Australia for her income earned here. She would have to check with Australian authorities to see how that may affect her.

Proserpina

She doesn't appear to be entitled to receive any US benefits because of the fact that they never became naturalized, nor has she worked legally here due to the fact that she has and continues to work off the books.

As for Australia, I can't say for sure. We don't handle questions regarding non-US Law here. However, I suspect that not only would she not be entitled to benefits from the Australian government, but she may actually owe taxes in Australia for her income earned here. She would have to check with Australian authorities to see how that may affect her.

I agree.

Further, the fact that she worked off the books would generally shoot down any chance she had of being entitled to benefits even if she is a PR.

(Generally, if the non-citizen PR has acquired 40 qualifying "quarters", they would at least be entitled to something).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">