• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my previous US visa valid/cancelled and can I still travel on Visa Waiver Program?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

awd1985

I have come across a grey area whilst applying for an ESTA and need urgent help.

I am intending to travel to the US for a vacation next week. I will be there for 10 days and have a return flight booked.

I previously studied in the US on an F-1, but withdrew from the school due to health reasons after one semester. I adhered to all the rules and left within the time allowed. The visa in my passport is still in date, however the school terminated my I-20 and SEVIS record.

On the ESTA there is a question regarding whether i have previously been denied entry, denied a visa or had a visa cancelled. As far as I am aware, the answer is NO, as the only action taken upon withdrawing from the school was surrendering my I-20 and SEVIS. Nobody has told me that my visa has been cancelled. So I applied with the NO box ticked. The ESTA was approved.

However, I'm not sure as to the status of my visa. Was it cancelled and I just wasn't informed. If yes, what will happen to me when I turn up to the customs desk next week?

Also, am I ok to travel on the VWP whilst the F-1 is still in date?

I'm really worried about this and could really use some advice/reassurance.

Thanks for reading. Will

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">