• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

N-400: Proof of Child support payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paul_Martell101

What is the name of your state? California

I am filing for a US naturalization. I do comply with all the requirements.
I have a child who is an US citizen from my previous marriage with an US citizen.
One requirement is to provide proof of child support payment if the child does not live with me (as stated in the USCIS naturalization guide).
First, the USCIS is not clear: the child lives with me 30% of the time. Is this considered as the child not living with me? The other parent and I have joint custody.

Second: if the child who lives with me 30% is considered by the USCIS as not living with me, I have to provide child support proof of payments. There is no issues in providing this proof if I would provide a copy of all the cancelled checks written in the last 3 years (about 72 cancelled checks or 2 per months). However my bank does not send me the cancelled checks anymore as they used to do. They have an electronic form ..which is only available for the past 6 months unless I put in a request to the bank archives . This is a major burden.
However the USCIS also states that another acceptable form of proof of child support payments is "letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your children" . My question: where can I find such a letter form or a template that would be acceptable to the USCIS ?the template or form is not provided by the USCIS.

Thank you.What is the name of your state?

Paul_Martell101

I knew that someone would make a reference to the "major burden". It is amazing how some people on this forum have nothing else to do but to try to minimize, belittle, disparage others. Must bring such Joy around Christmas time.
Yes, Compared to the rest of the process,running to the bank, trying to get some banker to go to the archives, pay for his time, etc. in order to get those cancelled check is a "major burden".
Why not go with the easiest solution? Getting the letter?

So could someone help me? This would probably bring more Joy? Thank you.

raztaz

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE

Are you still in touch with the mother? If so then you should have no problems in generating such a letter. What you need to do is just print a letter that says you have been paying all the child payments etc. over the past x years. Get it signed and attested in the presence of a lawyer. Also if you can reproduce proof of the last few payments, it would not hurt your case. I am not a lawyer or a legal advisor, so I would check with an immigration lawyer to see if this would constitute adequate legal proof.

fairisfair

I knew that someone would make a reference to the "major burden". It is amazing how some people on this forum have nothing else to do but to try to minimize, belittle, disparage others. Must bring such Joy around Christmas time.
Yes, Compared to the rest of the process,running to the bank, trying to get some banker to go to the archives, pay for his time, etc. in order to get those cancelled check is a "major burden".

Oh for crying out loud, getting those checks is as easy as picking up the phone. What, you think they are going to send you to some warehouse that is full to the roof with cancelled checks and make you find them yourself??

First of all, YOU should be keeping that information yourself, for your own records.

Personally I find it amazing that someone could be that incredibly unmotivated and lazy.

Write the letter then. and hope that they accept it. What, now you want us to write the letter for you too?? unbelievable.

AHA

Just give the USCIS what they ask for.
You've had plenty of time to prepare for this, not to mention prior knowledge of having to provide proof for the next application in the immigration process, so all "paper proof" should have started to be saved by you a long time ago instead of chucking them and then blowing a gasket at the last minute when you don't have the proof they need.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">