• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change in Indian Passport for a H1 Holder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dohtem1985

I am currently employed in U.S in New York on H1B. I want to know the process of changing name in Passport. Currently Last Name in passport is missing and it contains only Given Name (first Name). Therefore on H1 my first Name is "FNU (First Name Unknown)" and last name is the "Given Name" on passport.

Consequently, my SSN card, State IDs have only Last Name listed on them.

What will be the process of getting the name changed?. If i get name changed on Passport by contacting my home country consulate office, what steps need to be taken to change the same on H1 documents (797, I-94, H1 Approval Petition).

Any help in this reagard will be greatly appreciated...

ImmigAttyLana

The passport name change will have to be done with the Indian government. Once you have that done, the next time you extend your H-1B or change status, etc. you will provide the proof of the name change and your petition can be applied for in the new name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">