• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with I-129f

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NTP

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Hi,

My fiance (US citizen) works in Texas. I am currently attending a graduate school (on an F1 visa) in Arizona. I will be graduated this May and my student visa will be expired right around that time. In this case, will I need to file I-129f and apply for a fiance visa (K1) so that I can maintain a legal status in the US? Also, say that I already filed the I-129F but it takes longer than 2-3 months from now, am I able to stay in the US while waiting for the approval?

Please help! All your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

ImmigAttyLana

No, that is NOT correct. The K-1 is only for those who are living abroad and need to be able to enter the US in order to get married to a US citizen and then file for permanent residence on the basis of marriage.

If you are already in the US and you entered the US lawfully, you just need to get married and file for adjustment of status to permanent residence once you are lawfully married.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Thanks,
Lana

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">