• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Newborn coverage for J2 holder's baby

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

velid

What is the name of your state?
DC

I am here in a J1 visa with my pregnant wife (J2) who is about to deliver soon. I have paid for all dues for pregnancy but I was asked to include my upcoming newborn in a medicaid package offered by the hospital. I did agree on that, and we proceeded as my income is low and I cannot afford to pay the extra 7,000$ for one month coverage for my newborn as we are leaving the US in one month after delivery.

Do you think it is ok to have this newborn coverage for my American newborn? I heard that if this is the case, I will be considered public charge even though the only recipient (of non-cash aid) is my newborn child, who is an American citizen. I could still reject the medicaid service and not sign on it if it will put me in trouble as my wife is yet to deliver.

I hope that was clear, and thanks for your advice...

Sincerely,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">