• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-relative sponsor for student visa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tjay2111

Hello, we had a young lady come to work for us as an au pair, and would like to allow her to stay with us and sponsor her for a student visa. I have heard it is difficult for non-relatives to be approved as sponsors. Is this the case? Is there anything we can do? I would like to help her to attend college here, and her own family will have difficulty proving they have enough money to sponsor her.

ImmigAttyLana

YOu do not need a sponsor for the student visa; she needs to be admitted to the school first. As for the ability to pay the tuition, she needs to show that she has a source of funds for this, and you could probably qualify for this if you provide her with the funds. Please keep in mind that as a student on a student visa, she needs to be a fulltime student and has no permission to work initially and thereafter only 20 hours a week and only on campus so if you intend to continue to employe her while she is in school, this will not be possible.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Lana
Immigration Attorney

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">