• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure what to do next??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Georgia
Hello,
my mother-in-law is 59 years old and has Huntington's disease. She has been in a nursing home since April 2005. My husband paid a woman 2K to take care of her medicaid/SSI/disability paperwork. Apparently, she took our money and fled because we just got a letter stating they were discharging her on our doorstep for lack of payment and her benefits never went through.
I went to the Social Security office to try to take care of this matter myself. My mother-in-law is from Finland but has been here since the 60's and worked in the 70's. Within the past 10 years, she took her citizenship test. Social Security says she is not a citizen or needs proof of citizenship.
My mother-in-law is not mentally capable of helping us with this matter and all of her belongings were thrown away by her landlord in California before we could retrieve them.
I need to get advice on how to get this information. It just seems like everytime I get information they need, they want something else. I just don't want my mother-in-law to be dropped off on our doorstep. She is in no position to go from a lockdown unit to an unsupervised home.
Thank you in advance.

ImmigAttyLana

To find out if she is a US citizen or not, you can make an INFOPASS appointment with the local USCIS office on their website (www.uscis.gov) and try to find out as much as possible about her. It would be helpful if you have her full name, date of birth and her alien registration number, if she was a permanent resident in the US to assist them in finding her status through the computers. If she took a citizenship test, she would have had to then be sworn in to be a US citizen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Thank you Lana so much for your help!
After she took the citizenship test, was she supposed to file another form or anything to change her status?

ImmigAttyLana

She would have had to have been sworn in at a ceremony in order to become a US citizen and at that point she would have been given a certificate of naturalization which is proof of her US citizenship status.

Hi again,
I just had one more question. I keep getting advice to apply for SSI/disability for my mother-in-law. On the social security website, it says eligibility is for people over 65 and she is only 59. Does this mean she can't get disability? If she doesn't get approved for ssi or disability, I don't believe she is eligible for the state's medicaid program.
Thanks again for your help!

ImmigAttyLana

This, too, is not an immigration issue so I cannot assist you on that. You need to either consult with an attorney who handles that area of the law or contact the various agencies that administer those benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">