• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

obtaining work permit under new legislation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jennbelle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend who is undocumented, he meets all the requirements to apply for program Obama introduced. He is under 30, he came to the U.S. from Argentina in 2001, at that time he was 8 years old. His family entered the united states legally, but overstayed their visas. He successfully completed high school and has a diploma and has no criminal record. When can he apply for the work permit, and what documentation would be needed in order to prove his qualifications. Also, will he still have to pay out of state tuition for colleges in Florida? I have also read that he can now have a drivers license would he go to the DMV after obtaining work papers or what not?

Finally, once he obtains the documentation that allows him to work and avoid deportation, will he have to still leave the country and apply for citizenship? How can he start this process ( I do realize that he could marry me, but I am not ready for that responsibility and commitment.)

Thanks for all the assistance and if anymore detail is required, I'll be happy to provide it.

The DREAM Act, while proposed by the President, has not been passed into law by Congress. It did not pass in 2009 when first proposed and has been pretty stale since being reintroduced in 2011.

There's just something about 1 in 10 AMERICANS being out of work that puts a bad taste in people's mouths about giving non-citizens rights to work.

Proserpina

The DREAM Act, while proposed by the President, has not been passed into law by Congress. It did not pass in 2009 when first proposed and has been pretty stale since being reintroduced in 2011.

There's just something about 1 in 10 AMERICANS being out of work that puts a bad taste in people's mouths about giving non-citizens rights to work.

(Make sure you're seated ;) )

Yes, I do agree. The DREAM Act is not likely to pass any time soon. With that said, we also can't ignore the legal immigrants who are also entitled to live and work here. Ultimately though, the point you're making is correct and you've made it well.

Now, are you saving up your eye-rollies for me so I don't have to use mine up elsewhere? :cool:

NuttyMe

From what I understand- Obama just made the announcement last week and the proceedures haven't been finalized. It could take a couple of months before he can actually apply. He will need to have certified copies of his birth certificates- and he can get copies of his school transcripts as well - this will help prove that he has been here as long as he has. Depending on how old he is (if he graduated several years ago) he may need to have some other proof to show he hasn't left the country and re-entered a second time illegally. I recommend checking out the immigration forum called at immigrate2us.net or i2us.net It is similar to this, but all about immigration - TONS of information - and an immigration atty. frequently available to answer legal questions (though most are NOT atty's, many are going through the immigration process and have lots of advice and shared experiences)

Oh - and the new policy is only the right to work - he will get a social security number, and be able to get a drivers license... but nothing else. This is not any form of citizenship. If he wants a green card and eventually citizenship, that's an entirely different process.

Good luck!

ImmigAttyLana

He can use the time now to gather all the eligibility documentation for himself but the actual filing for benefits will not happen for another 60 days for implementation from June 15.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

fab

lost 1-94

He can use the time now to gather all the eligibility documentation for himself but the actual filing for benefits will not happen for another 60 days for implementation from June 15.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
I have a similar situation, in that I am eligible for deferred action under the new announcement. However, I noticed that applying for work authorization requires that I show an i-94 card. I came in as a child under my mother's passport. I did have my individual visa and I am assuming an 1-94 card. However, my mother was robbed many years ago and we lost our passports with the b1 visas and I-94 cards. I have since gotten a new passport under my own name. It has no visa. I came in before the 2001 system change that made everything electronic.
My question is as follows: Should I apply for a replacement of my 1-94 card before I apply for my deferred action? Or should I wait to get deferred action, then apply for my 1-94 card, then apply for work authorization? My concerns are that the first method might put me in danger of deportation if the deferred action promise doesn't come through, and the second method will take too long.

Thank you for any advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">