• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OPT expiration and marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

devashri

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

I came across your website when I was looking for some trusted lawyers. I also saw that you offer free consultation on the website where your email id was listed. Please suggest me what I can in the problem below.

“ I am an International student and currently working on OPT. However my OPT expires on July 5th , 2012. I have been dating my boyfriend for the past 10 years and we have decided to marry. He is currently living in Wisconsin and is on opt also but his H1 is in process. I wanted to find out if I marry him and sign legal marriage documents do I have to prove that I am living with him? Because I am volunteering in Dallas and also a board member of an organization here so I cant pack up everything and start living with in Wisconsin until December 2012. Please advise if after we sign the marriage documents it is not going to be a problem for Stamping when we go back to India and still will be able to come back for our responsibilities here. “

Please help us.

Regards,

ImmigAttyLana

As long as you are legally married and submit your change of status from F-1 opt to H-4, there should not be any issues with that application as long as you are legally married. For the visa interview in India, you do not have to show that you are living together but you may be asked to prove that your marriage is bona fide. Therefore, I would strongly suggest that you maintain all documents for both locations for the time being.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">