• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OPT grace period and H-1B

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zuzuzuzu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Good morning,

my question is regarding the OPT and the H-1B application process:
I graduated in May 2009 and have been working using my OPT between June 2009 until April 7, 2010 (that is my last day on OPT and last day at my current job). Recently I was accepted for another job at a different company that is now sponsoring me for H-1B, to start my new job in late September 2010. Does this mean I am still entitled to the 60-day OPT grace period after April 7? I know I will not be able to work during that time, but I was wondering how long I can still stay in the country after this date given I will be in the process of obtaining H-1B.

Thank you very much.

ImmigAttyLana

You get the 60 day grace period anyway regardless of whether a H-1B petition is filed on your behalf.

Additionally, you should get an OPT extension allowing you to remain in the US by virtue of the H-1B being filed on your behalf.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

zuzuzuzu

Dear Lana,

should I request a new amended I-20 for the duration of the grace period that I will be in the country for? My OPT expires on April 7 (my H-1B will have been filled by then) and I will be leaving the country on May 10, before returning for my new job in September.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Zuzana

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">