• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OPT H1 Gap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cherokawa

California
My OPT expires aug 20th. My H1 has been approved and begins Oct 1st. I know i can stay in the country using the 60 day grace period. I want to know how much of a risk is it for me to continue working in this gap.... i will loose my project if i don't.

what if i am off the payroll for the month? how probable is it that it'll affect me? looking for advice from someone who has been in this situation or have known people in this situation.

thanks.

ImmigAttyLana

You absolutely CANNOT work lawfully during the grace period! You have NO employment authorization once the OPT expires and if you continue working, that can have significant negative consequences on your immigration process.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

NiceFriendOfU

Small clarification

I have opt until sept 4 n can I work voluntairly (without pay) from sept 4 to oct 1 and can I have my pay stub run for the 4 days..

ImmigAttyLana

There is no such thing as "work voluntarily". If you are working in your job, that's work and NOT volunteering and you are not authorized to do this once your OPT expires. Volunteering entails such activities as assisting in a local hospital, school, library, shelter, community center--NOT working in your profession.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">