• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OPT to H1B one month gap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deep1211

What is the name of your state? New York

OPT expires August 20th, H1B begins October 1st.

If my company pays me for that time, should I accept it or should I inform them not to pay me? is the onus on me or the company and does this question come up when i go to get my H1B stamped in my home country?
thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ImmigAttyLana

You are not supposed to be paid while you have to work authorization. The company can pay you for that time before your OPT expires or once your H-1B starts in October but you should be off payroll in the interim.

Employer

I have a similar situation here with a potential employee. OPT expires 8/31 and H1-B doesn't start until 10/1. What options do I have for the employee to work during that gap? Can they work and say be paid a bonus later on for that work or are they simply out of luck, cannot work in any way between 9/1 and 10/1? I know they cannot receive pay stubs between 9/1 and 10/1. I also interestingly saw on the govs site that they can be paid signing bonuses during the gap period. Is this another way around the gap issue? Or is it a situation where under no circumstances whatsoever can that employee work during the gap period?

ImmigAttyLana

You CANNOT work legally during that time. Moreover, make sure that your H-1B is approved as a change of status because of that gap (with a new I-94) or for consular processing. If it is for the latter, you would need to depart the US and get a valid H-1B visa before you can reenter the US and be in valid H-1B status.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">