• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overlapping marriage/divorce date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

souza1478

Greetings I'm in great need of help. I'm an American married to a Brazilian man that was in the US illegally. He voluntarily left the US November of 2011 for Brazil, his home country. That next March, I joined him with our two children now we have three. We've been going through the immigration process and had our interview in Rio de Janeiro. They found an overlap in marriage dates from his first marriage and ours. He was legally separated in 2000 but his divorce wasn't official until June of 2003. We married February of 2003 leaving a 4 month overlap. Rio sent the case back to the NVC which returned to the USCIS. This is back in April of this year and I have not heard anything since. They keep sending me back and fourth to each other. Have you ever heard of a case like this one and what are the chances they will approve our application and we can continue onto the 10 year bar waiver process? At this point I'm lost and getting tired of being jacked around by immigration. I just want to come home with my family and husband.

t74

You need an attorney. A bigamous marriage is a significant problem for the US. Information shows it has been a crime in Brazil

souza1478

You need an attorney. A bigamous marriage is a significant problem for the US. Information shows it has been a crime in Brazil

It wasn't a bigamous marriage. He was legally separated three years prior and thought that was final. He left for the US a few months later and his attorney was supposed to take care of everything afterwards. We got married in the US and also in Brazil and nothing was caught. Only until the Embassy in Rio started looking at our papers. Immigration seems to look for reasons to turn people away instead of helping them. I take it there is no way they will let us pass with this overlap in dates?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It wasn't a bigamous marriage. He was legally separated three years prior and thought that was final. He left for the US a few months later and his attorney was supposed to take care of everything afterwards. We got married in the US and also in Brazil and nothing was caught. Only until the Embassy in Rio started looking at our papers. Immigration seems to look for reasons to turn people away instead of helping them. I take it there is no way they will let us pass with this overlap in dates?
It was a bigamous marriage. Bigamy is when he is married to two people at once. Which he was due to what you call an "overlap".

eerelations

It was a bigamous marriage. Bigamy is when he is married to two people at once. Which he was due to what you call an "overlap".
Agree. It was a bigamous marriage. He may have thought he was divorced, but it appears now that he was mistaken. Mistakes like this are not treated lightly by either the US or Brazil. Before marrying you, he should have obtained proof that he was divorced at the time he suspected he was divorced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">