• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overstayed 45 days while waiting for USCIS visa extension response

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Uros

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Before my J1 visa grace period ended at Oct 16 I applied to USCIS for a visa extension, and a few days ago I received a visa denied answer, sent on Nov 22. From what I understood, if I leave the country in less then 20 days after my visa request was denied I should have no negative consequences if I decide to apply for a J1 visa again next year.

What troubles me is that I don't think I will be able to convince the consul in my country the next time I apply that I have legally overstayed while I was waiting for USCIS response, because I don't have anything to show for it (I don't have an extended I-94 form which is usually presented in similar situations). The only "proofs" that I have are:
- Visa extension application filed on Oct 12
- Visa denied response received on Nov 22
- Hypothetical proof of leaving the US before Dec 12 (20 days after)

As far as I'm concerned that should be enough to convince anyone that I overstayed legally, but the problem is that noone asks for my opinion, especially not a consul who has a few minutes per applicant to spare. Does anyone have any experiences with similar cases? I could really use some advice here. Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">