• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passing citizenship to foreign born children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dawncollect

What is the name of your state? CA

My friend had two babies in her early teens and gave them up for adoption in Israel (where she was temporarily living, but was a permanent resident of the U.S.)

She was too young to know or even research at the time, about reporting the births to the u.s. consulate in israel and whatever status that might have given the babies upon their birth. Now, she is a U.S. citizen 5+ years.

Anyway, if she received custody of the children and brought them back to the U.S., can she pass her U.S. citizenship status to her children without complications?

Thanks in advance.

xylene

Why would your friend feel she has ANY standing to reclaim these children.

That is sickening

PS - that would be a matter of isreali law anyway, and totally outside of the purview of this US law forum.

dawncollect

It's a complicated situation but I'm here for the question of immigration not the moral judgement of strangers who only know one bit of information.

Someone just directed me to the Child Citizenship Act Of 2000 so thanks anyway. I'm glad I found this forum.

moburkes

It's a complicated situation but I'm here for the question of immigration not the moral judgement of strangers who only know one bit of information.

Someone just directed me to the Child Citizenship Act Of 2000 so thanks anyway. I'm glad I found this forum.
Dawn, you received the same treatment the first time you posted. A little more information may have saved you from the trouble. Also, xylene is usually the LAST person to stick it to the OP, so, as you can see, your question really opens up a HUGE can of worms. Having said that, I STILL find it hard to believe that BOTH adoptive parents have terminal illnesses. That's pretty rare, I'd say.

Also, when you alienate the same people that you are asking for help, you tend not to get the response you're looking for.

The person that you are looking for help from, doesn't post that often, so don't sit by the computer waiting for a response.

dawncollect

I don't know any of you and none of you know me. I kept my question sterile exactly for this reason. I appreciate the advice and now I will pass it along and hope for the best. Thanks again & be well

moburkes

I don't know any of you and none of you know me. I kept my question sterile exactly for this reason. I appreciate the advice and now I will pass it along and hope for the best. Thanks again & be well
Exactly. Which is why it makes absolutely no sense to get upset at strangers on the internet. Goodbye.

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state? CA

My friend had two babies in her early teens and gave them up for adoption in Israel (where she was temporarily living, but was a permanent resident of the U.S.)

She was too young to know or even research at the time, about reporting the births to the u.s. consulate in israel and whatever status that might have given the babies upon their birth. Now, she is a U.S. citizen 5+ years.

Anyway, if she received custody of the children and brought them back to the U.S., can she pass her U.S. citizenship status to her children without complications?

Thanks in advance.

I believe she gave up her ability to pass her citizenship along when the adoption went through, but have you had a read through the uscis.gov section on the topic?

How would she 'get custody back'.. was it not really an adoption?
Where were the children born? How old are the children now? Married?

Oh, I see you got more er, input.
Try this link: http://tinyurl.com/yfdout and add info if you're serious about a reply.

dawncollect

The children were born in Israel and at the time, the biomother was a citizen of Israel (thru her own parents, not that she sought it for herself) (and Russia) and a permanent resident of the U.S. where she resided most of her life. It's complicated...stick with me.

The kids are 12 and 11.

At the time of their birth, the biomom didn't know (she was a young teen) she could register them with the u.s. consulate as a recognition of their mother's and their status in the U.S. I actually don't know if permanent residents who have children elsewhere can automatically give pr status to their children.

The custody isssue is one I'm looking into as we speak here at the israel family court site located at http://tinyurl.com/22tko9

evcalyptos

The children were born in Israel and at the time, the biomother was a citizen of Israel (thru her own parents, not that she sought it for herself) (and Russia) and a permanent resident of the U.S. where she resided most of her life. It's complicated...stick with me.

The kids are 12 and 11.

At the time of their birth, the biomom didn't know (she was a young teen) she could register them with the u.s. consulate as a recognition of their mother's and their status in the U.S. I actually don't know if permanent residents who have children elsewhere can automatically give pr status to their children.

The custody isssue is one I'm looking into as we speak here at the israel family court site located at http://tinyurl.com/22tko9
Reading your other thread, I have to agree.. your friend needs
#1-an Israeli Family law lawyer to deal with the reversal of adoption or whatever it is called.

Once she has legal custody of the children, she needs a US immigration attorney. She will either be the bio mom of these kids and immigrate them in the usual way, or the adoptive mom, where she will immigrate them through those channels.
As indicated in the other thread, if they immigrate as minors, they should gain citizenship at entry.

This is NOT something your friend should be trying on her own. She should study it, and do her research, yes, but she should not attempt any of it on her own.. she is only risking the kids' future again.

dawncollect

She is going to take the steps you recommended and contact an experienced israeli family law attorney, thank you.

As I was reading the israeli site, it seems adoptions cannot be rescinded (i dont know if that would be the right word) unless the govt cps/social services (i don't know the right name, but israel's equivilant to this) finds grounds for neglect or mistreatment or those kinds of things.

however, an adult (18) adopted as a child can petition the court to rescind the adoption if circumstances come up like the adopted child (now adult) has bonded with their biosiblings/bioparent(s) and wishes for the adoption to be null and void.

from that israeli site

a) adoptive parents wanted to cancel adoption order
response from court here http://tinyurl.com/2t2ykx

b)adopted child cancels adoption as adult
response from court here http://tinyurl.com/3dvtuc

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">