• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passport to leave the US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ytzhak

A friend of mine who is a US citizen wants to leave the US permanently and work abroad. Long story short he has issues with the ex and supposedly owes money. The state department will not issue him a passport. How would he go about leaving the US to another country and find work without a passport? What alternatives does he have?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
A friend of mine who is a US citizen wants to leave the US permanently and work abroad. Long story short he has issues with the ex and supposedly owes money. The state department will not issue him a passport. How would he go about leaving the US to another country and find work without a passport? What alternatives does he have?
He should pay all of his child support and quit being a deadbeat. Of course, if he has been charged/convicted of felony nonsupport then he has other issues.

OHRoadwarrior

He should solve those "issues" or pay off the "supposed money". The gov't will release the "supposed deadbeat hold" preventing him from running out of the country to avoid collection.

Ytzhak

The whole thing about him paying is a separate issue where I did not explain the whole situation. How can he leave immediately?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The whole thing about him paying is a separate issue where I did not explain the whole situation. How can he leave immediately?
HE CANNOT legally get a passport because he owes child support. HE has a court order to pay child support and he has not paid. END OF STORY. He is now more than $2500 behind.

CSO286

By paying the full amount due. Then the hold on his passport will be released.

(I work in child support)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He can pay what he owes or make other arrangements. You seem to think they are separate issues, but payment is THE issue.

CSO286

HE CANNOT legally get a passport because he owes child support. HE has a court order to pay child support and he has not paid. END OF STORY. He is now more than $2500 behind.
And the states require that the non-payor pay the balance in FULL. Getting it below $2500 won't cut it.

Last edited:

justalayman

anybody have any case law where it was required to have a passport to leave the US. Personally, I believe it would be unconstitutional to demand a passport to leave the US. Of course, getting into another country would likely be a problem and getting back into the US could be a huge hassle but I do not believe it would be legal to require one to leave.

CourtClerk

anybody have any case law where it was required to have a passport to leave the US. Personally, I believe it would be unconstitutional to demand a passport to leave the US. Of course, getting into another country would likely be a problem and getting back into the US could be a huge hassle but I do not believe it would be legal to require one to leave.
I don't believe a passport is required to LEAVE the US. It however may be required to ENTER another country....

and the laws of that country would rule.

CSO286

He can pay what he owes or make other arrangements. You seem to think they are separate issues, but payment is THE issue.
I don't think any state allows payment plans when it comes to Passport Denial for unpaid child support.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't think any state allows payment plans when it comes to Passport Denial for unpaid child support.
"Other arrangements" was meant as a catch-all for any other possible options the OP may have in this matter, not just a payment plan. Perhaps the "Other arrangements" is to somehow convince the folks that he doesn't actually owe the money... ;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
All I found was this:
http://www.tikitrips.com/passport.htm/

Though other countries will not let you enter without a passport/visa. But he could live in the airport. Or sneak across the border to Mexico.

LdiJ

I don't believe a passport is required to LEAVE the US. It however may be required to ENTER another country....

and the laws of that country would rule.
If it takes a plane or ship to get there, he won't be allowed on board without a passport.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">