• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pending I-485 (family based) and H1-B

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Electric_Menace

What is the name of your state? OH

Hi,
I am having a big dilema. I am currently stuck at a horrible job. The only good thing I have out of it is the H1-B I've been working under for years now.
I got married a year ago a filed a I-130 and I-485 in October 2006. Got interviewed and the whole process is complete aside from the background check! Surprise!
I also applied or an EAD and received it shortly after the interview.
My dilema is this. I have offers for different positions w/o the H1-B though.
Can I abandon the H1-B and use my EAD to work. What would be the basis of my stay in the USA then?? Would I be breaking any immigration rules by doing this?
I don't care about the risk of USCIS denying my case.
Please help so I can move on with my life.
I called USCIS customer service and they couldn't tell me. They said call DOS.

ImmigAttyLana

Of course, if you have a pending I-485, then you no longer need to have a H-1B status since you are now a pending applicant for adjustment of status and can use your EAD for any employment.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">