• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pending Petition and Student/Tourist Visa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mauricio89

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I studied in Arkansas but I am currently in Georgia, and I am originally from Honduras.

I am a recent international college graduate currently on an OPT (Optional Practical Training). My sibling, who is a US citizen and is also in the military, filed a petition for me to become a US Resident about a month ago. I will be returning to my home country, Honduras, at the beginning of next month. However, I have read that having a pending petition will not allow me to acquire a student or tourist visa in the future. Is this true?

If so, I will tell my sibling to withdraw or cancel the petition (Form I-130). So far we have only received a letter from USCIS, which states that they have received form 1-130 and that it is in process. If the petition is cancelled will this action have negative consequences in terms of acquiring a student or tourist visa in the future. In other words, will I be blacklisted or banned from acquiring a student or tourist visa in the future because my sibling cancelled the petition? How long would we have to cancel the petition before it is irreversible?

Thank you very much for your help! I am infinitely grateful!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">