• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

haquem

What is the name of your state? California

Here is my situation:

I had an approved I-140 & as soon as my PD became current, I filed my I-485 (which was couple of months ago) and already got the receipt notice. Last week, I got married to a girl in Pakistan on the phone (allowed by Islamic Law and Pakistanii law). Family members/friends were with me here in California and my wife had family members/friends in Pakistan at the time of the marriage.

Now, since we (bride and groom) were not physically present together at the time of the wedding, will the US Immigration consider it as a valid marriage for immigration purpose? What are my options to bring my wife into the U.S. to join me?

Last edited:

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state? California

Here is my situation:

I had an approved I-140 & as soon as my PD became current, I filed my I-485 (which was couple of months ago) and already got the receipt notice. Last week, I got married to a girl in Pakistan on the phone (allowed by Islamic Law and Pakistanii law). Family members/friends were with me here in California and my wife had family members/friends in Pakistan at the time of the marriage.

Now, since we (bride and groom) were not physically present together at the time of the wedding, will the US Immigration consider it as a valid marriage for immigration purpose? What are my options to bring my wife into the U.S. to join me?
No, your phone marriage is not valid for US immigration purposes. It is called a "proxy" marriage. This woman is not yet your 'wife' for immigration purposes.

I don't know a lot about it, but you will want to act quickly to make sure that you can bring your (wife) along ON YOUR GC application.. you must get over there and get married in person (or marry elsewhere) or you will be looking at a minimum of 5 years apart (if you become a PR before you are married)..I am not sure which date will matter regarding your I-485..filing or approval.

I really recommend you get busy studying on this. Sorry I don't have more details for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">