• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please give me some advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moj

What is the name of your state? California

I have a Green-Card (received 3 months ago).... and last december I was arested for burglary. It was misdemeaner (less than $300). I paid my fines, served one day in a jail and did my community work and am on probation now for the next 3 years. Well I learned my lesson. But Im very worry

Will I be deported??
Can I get a job and work??

Can I leave USA and return without any problem??

CanWhat is the name of your state?

Can I become US citizen Now??

Please give me some advise as what to do now**************.....My husband is US Citizen....will it help??

SHORTY LONG

I have a Green-Card (received 3 months ago).... and last december I was arested for burglary. It was misdemeaner (less than $300). I paid my fines, served one day in a jail and did my community work and am on probation now for the next 3 years. Well I learned my lesson. But Im very worry

Will I be deported??

Please give me some advise as what to do now**************.....My husband is US Citizen....will it help??
Why have you waited until now to ask your questions; and what is a married
women doing to get busted for burglary?

dmtils

Will I be deported??

Easy answer is, no, you are fine. You will not be deported for a misdemenour if you are a permanent resident with an otherwise fine record.

Is your Green Card based on your marriage? If so, is it "conditional"? (ie is you card valid for 2 years or 10?). Your ability to work is not an immigration based question if you are currently a green card holder, it is an employer based question - people who have been arrested sometimes find it harder to find work, but this has nothing to do with your immigration status if you are a permanent resident.

On the other hand, if your Green Card has not yet been adjudicated (if you have applied but not yet been granted permanent residence), this could count against you under certain conditions.

Where you may have problems is if you decide to apply for citizenship, as good moral character is a very high standard on citizenship applications.

Should you ever decide to apply for citizenship, I highly recommend you consult an Immigration Attorney (a good one, not a crook), and be COMPLETELY honest with your attorney.

If your permanent residence is based on your marriage to an American, you should be able to file for citizenship 90 days in advance of the 3 year anniversary of becoming a permanent resident. But again, please consult with an immigration lawyer before hand.

For example, if you were granted permanent residence (if your green card is based on marriage to an American) on April 1, 2007, you can file for citizenship on January 1, 2010.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">