• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

olgasosa

What is the name of your state? outside US
I am totally lost with the Police certificate.
I am Venezuelan living in Barbados since2 years ago. Married to a USC, filing I 130.

Do I need aPolice certificate from Barbados?
Do I need a police certificate from Venezuela?

In case I need any or both Do they have to be recent, how long are they valid for?
Pleaseeee help:(

olgasosa

Where can I find the law related topolice certificates?

Thank you Lana.
Could you please tell me where can i read about those immigration law that referes to Police Certificates?
Where are those regulations? I would like to read them, can you help with that matter?
I have read web pages referring to that and they look contradictory some times. Some of them say 12 months in any country, others refers to six month in differents places of the country oof the nationality of the applicantnetc.
Thank you,
Olga

ImmigAttyLana

You can research it on the Internet through the Foreign Affairs manual, etc. or you can simply wait for the Consulate/Embassy to tell you what they need.

evcalyptos

Thank you Lana.
Could you please tell me where can i read about those immigration law that referes to Police Certificates?
Where are those regulations? I would like to read them, can you help with that matter?
I have read web pages referring to that and they look contradictory some times. Some of them say 12 months in any country, others refers to six month in differents places of the country oof the nationality of the applicantnetc.
Thank you,
Olga
Detailed instructions from the Dept of State are here:
Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants(Not Applying in Canada, Albania, Turkey, United Arab Emirates or Africa)
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1308.html#pc

Police Certificates:

Police certificates are required for each visa applicant aged 16 years or older. The table below shows how many police certificates are required based on where each applicant lives and has lived previously. Present and former residents of the United States should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the U.S.
IF the applicant is living in their country of nationality at their current residence for more than 6 months
AND is 16 years old or older
THEN the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.

IF the applicant lived in a different part of their country of nationality for more than 6 months
AND was 16 years or older at that time
THEN the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.

IF the applicant lived in a different country for more than 12 months
AND was 16 years or older at that time

IF the applicant was arrested for any reason, regardless of how long they lived there
AND was any age at that time

The police certificate must:

Cover the entire period of the applicant’s residence in that area, and
State what the appropriate police authorities records show concerning each applicant, including all arrests, the reason for the arrest(s), and the disposition of each case of which there is a record.
Note : Police certificates from certain countries are unavailable. More specific information is available from NVC or the nearest United States immigrant visa processing post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">