• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

process after marrying mexican resident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dms123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Hello,

I recently got married to a Mexican who is in the US on a student visa. We've been together for over a year, married for a week and I'm a US citizen.

My understanding is that the first step is for me to complete form I-130, then once that's done, we need to complete form I-485 to change her status.

Is there anything else that needs to be done? I know we'll have to have an interview, I'll need to provide past 3 years of taxes, birth certificate and other supporting documents. But is starting with I-130, then I-485 the correct process?

I guess the other form would be I-765 for her to have permission to work. Could these three be filed at the same time?

Thank you

Last edited:

dms123

It look like also we'll need form G-325A for myself and G-325 for my wife, that we'll send along with the I-130.

t74

Instructions and form are on the USCIS website. If you have difficulty with them, consult an immigration attorney or social service agency catering to immigrant issues.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Since your wife is here on a student visa, it might be worth it to contact her university's office that deals with foreign students/faculty.

They should be able to give you a list of the forms needed - sometimes there are obscure location specific ones that are not available at USCIS.

Check with USCIS to check fees literally the day you are ready to submit the forms - as not including the correct fee can be a reason for denying an application.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">