• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public School enrollment without student visa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sloflyer1

We have a foreign family visiting us on a tourist visa. They wish to leave their 16 year old son with us to live and go to high school here in California. They would be giving us a signed informal guardianship agreement. We know the local high school is not issuing any I-20's for foreign exchange students as their program is full, but when I ask them about enrolling a student living in the district they say they cannot/do not ask about the students legal status. We know that if this boy enrolls in public school he is violating the conditions of his tourist visa and risks deportation.

The question is:
Do we face, as his informal guardians and as the people providing food, shelter and other parental responsibilities for him, a potential legal liability of our own when we enroll him in a public school knowing this is in violation of his tourist visa? Are there other legal implications for us in housing a minor which is violating the terms of/or overstaying a visitor/tourist visa?

LegalBeagle

sloflyer1 said:
We have a foreign family visiting us on a tourist visa. They wish to leave their 16 year old son with us to live and go to high school here in California. They would be giving us a signed informal guardianship agreement. We know the local high school is not issuing any I-20's for foreign exchange students as their program is full, but when I ask them about enrolling a student living in the district they say they cannot/do not ask about the students legal status. We know that if this boy enrolls in public school he is violating the conditions of his tourist visa and risks deportation.

The question is:
Do we face, as his informal guardians and as the people providing food, shelter and other parental responsibilities for him, a potential legal liability of our own when we enroll him in a public school knowing this is in violation of his tourist visa? Are there other legal implications for us in housing a minor which is violating the terms of/or overstaying a visitor/tourist visa?
In the US, you can be convicted if you know you are breaking the law. You know the conditions of his visa and therefore you know a law will be broken. Therefore, you can be held liable. Especially if you also knowingly enrole him into the school against the visa entry requirements.

So, yes, you can get into trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">