• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question regarding loss of residency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

briana

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I am a Canadian Citizen residing in the US. My husband and I have been toying with the idea of trying out living in Canada to see what we like better. I know I am not allowed to leave the US for longer than 6 months without losing my residency, so is there any way this could be done? If I pay taxes in Canada will I automatically lose my US residency, even if it was for less than 6 months? Would I be able to obtain US citizenship, then move or is that a big no no??? Help!What is the name of your state?

SHORTY LONG

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I am a Canadian Citizen residing in the US. My husband and I have been toying with the idea of trying out living in Canada to see what we like better. I know I am not allowed to leave the US for longer than 6 months without losing my residency, so is there any way this could be done? If I pay taxes in Canada will I automatically lose my US residency, even if it was for less than 6 months? Would I be able to obtain US citizenship, then move or is that a big no no??? Help!
Is your husband a US Citizen? Is not six months enough? If not leave for one day, and return.
What type of Visa are you here on? If your husband is not a US Citizen, then, what type of Visa is he here on?

Check this site for additional information including inks, and telephone numbers. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

ImmigAttyLana

You can apply for a reentry permit which would allow you to reside abroad for up to 2 years (can also be renewed after that) and now lose your US permanent resident status.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">