• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding schooling for Spouse visa (I-130)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomandjerry

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

A relative of mine resides in Michigan and his Wife will also be living with him in Michigan.

So here is the situation. He recently got married in India and filed for his wife's I-130. The question is regarding to schooling. He is originally from India and so is she. After 10th grade, she finished her diploma in Computer Engineering. Diploma is equivalent to our Associate's degree. My question is, would she have to go to high school to finish the 11th and 12th grade? Or will she able to transfer some of the classes she took in University to a community college here in Michigan?

Let me know if you had a similar experience or have some insight on the topic.

Thank you,
Tom&Jerry

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

A relative of mine resides in Michigan and his Wife will also be living with him in Michigan.

So here is the situation. He recently got married in India and filed for his wife's I-130. The question is regarding to schooling. He is originally from India and so is she. After 10th grade, she finished her diploma in Computer Engineering. Diploma is equivalent to our Associate's degree. My question is, would she have to go to high school to finish the 11th and 12th grade? Or will she able to transfer some of the classes she took in University to a community college here in Michigan?

Let me know if you had a similar experience or have some insight on the topic.

Thank you,
Tom&Jerry
That question would be better addressed directly to the admissions department of a couple of community colleges. There definitely are programs available for people with degrees from foreign schools. Its very unlikely that they would require her to attend high school here. However again, that question is best addressed to the potential schools she might attend.

FlyingRon

Yes, this is hardly an immigration or legal question. Credit for studies elsewhere is almost always entirely at the discretion of the school. Her best bet would be for her to describe just what she had to do to get the diploma she has and see what they will offer her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">