• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questions about OPT to H-1, and current F-1 status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sapphirez82

This is my current situation. I've been in the US on an F-1 visa since Aug 2001. I completed my undergraduate degree in 2005 and then moved on to graduate school. I'm currently on an F-1 visa that expires in December 2008. I'm completing my thesis to finish my Master's degree, and I hope to graduate this December. I am also working on my OPT, and my OPT/EAD expires this December.
I'm considering starting a doctoral program in the fall of 2008. That's still some time away though, and I want to continue on my current job, maybe until next summer. Since my OPT expires this December, I'd need to apply for an H-1 visa to continue on this job. But I'm not sure if I can even do that if the H-1 cap has already been filled. I've heard that I would only be able to apply for an H-1 visa when they're offered again next year in Mar/Apr 2008. Is this true? I work at a nonprofit hospital and have been working here since May this year.
Supposing that I am able to transfer my F-1 status to an H-1 status in December, will this invalidate my pre-existing F-1 visa? If I do get into a doctoral program in Aug/Sep of 2008, and decide to leave my job and the US to go home in the summer, will I be able to re-enter the US in Aug 2008 with a new I-20 for the doctoral program and my CURRENT F-1 visa that expires in Dec 2008?
Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

ImmigAttyLana

You can only apply for a H-1B if it is with an employer that is H-1B cap exempt. Just being a nonprofit does not mean that it is cap exempt. If you are approved for H-1B then you cannot be in F-1 status since you can only hold one nonimmigrant status at any given time.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">