• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

quitting job but was sole sponsor on affidavit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kunalmalik

What is the name of your state?

CA

Hi,
I have placed an GC petition in place for my husband.

I have quit my job. I am the sole sponsor on the affidavit of support. I did not include my husbands income on the support document. We recently filed our W2 which shows that our combined income was 100K. We are waiting for our Interview letter. If I dont have a job at the time of the interview can I include my huband on the affidavit of support at the time of the interview?

evcalyptos

You can take a new I-864 to your interview. You must if you have new employment or want to include your spouse's legal income.

evcalyptos

Thanks for both your replies. Doesnt a husband/spouse always qualify to be a sponsor?
Not if they are living abroad with no US income, and with no assets. In that case, they would not have anything to bring to the table.

Or, if they are in the US but their income is earned without employment authorization; that's why I said 'legal income' in my post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">