• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Re-entry for an F1 student--PLS HELP!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

f1_duke_student

What is the name of your state? --was colorado--will be north carolina....

Hi everyone.

I'll just quickly summarize my situation. Please give your opinion!

Entered US on student visa sep 2003. First two semesters at college went by normally. Went "out of status" on October 10th 2004 due to non-registration for classes during my third semester. Was arrested in December 2004 for being "out of status". Was released in January 2005 after posting bond.

At removal proceedings on April 1st 2005, I was granted voluntary depature. This is exactly what it says on the court document: Respondent's application for voluntary departure was granted until 8/01/2005 upon posting a bond in the amount of $ N/A. So the judge granted me voluntary departure and also did not ask me to post any sort of bond.

I was also given a form GS-146 to present to the US embassy in my country once I go back (And I did this exactly as told)

I left the US on june 9th 2005, almost 2 months before the court deadline.

(I want to point out that the non-registration for classes for one semester in college is the ONLY blemish I have on my immigration record. I never did any unauthorized work, and have no criminal history, either in America or in my home country.)

Based on the above, will I be refused entry into the US? Am I ineligible to enter for a certain period of time? Will I have to submit any sort of 'waiver of inadmissibility form' before attending my visa interview??

By the way, the school that I was studying at before was in colorado. But the reason I really want to go back to America now is that I've been accepted as a transfer student to Duke University in Durham, North Carolina. For those who dont know, it's a great university, very prestigious. I dont want to miss the chance!

I'd really appreciate any help from you guys, coz I cant find the answer anywhere else.

THANKS!:)

Last edited:

f1_duke_student

so many views, no replies!--someone pls help!

I found a hopeful statement at this website--http://www.firrp.org/documents/KyrMaterials/English/VoluntaryDepenglish.pdf (see the 2nd last paragraph on page 6 of the document)---
If you have been in the U.S. illegally for over 180 days but less than a year and you get voluntary departure from the judge, this three year bar to returning to the U.S. does not apply.
This was published by the "florence project"--www.firrp.org. This organization definitely looks trustworthy.

Is the above true? If any immigration lawyers are reading this, please let me know whether there is any law that supports the above statement.

Also, from the moment I went "out of status" to the time the judge granted voluntary departure was less than 180 days. If the above statement from the 'florence project' is true, then I shouldn't be looking at any "bars to entry",right?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">