• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reentry Permit issue..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iekhan

Hi,

I got my GC through my mom's sister who had sponsored the entire family. Initially when I got the GC, I was studying in India and liked it better there.

Hence, I visited US, took a re-entry permit (for 2 years) and went back to India. I visited US after 1 years and 9 months.

Then, I again went back to India. This time though, I didn't take any reentry permit. This time I entered US after 400 days.

It's been 5 years since I entered again and I have my Interview in 3 weeks from now. The 5 years that I have counted for my citizenship starts from when I entered US for the second time.

I am wondering if my staying out of US for more than a year without reentry permit would be an issue? The lawyer I consulted stated that they can say that you "abandoned your GC" even before I started by 5 year count.

Thanks.

PS: Am in IL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">