• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regarding OPT grace period

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Guruosu

Hello,

My name is Guru, I completed my masters from Oklahoma State University. I am in the job market. I know that the H1 cap has been over.I have few questions. My OPT ends on Jan 15, 2005.
1) whats the probability for increasing the H1 cap for the students who did there MS and PhD in US?
2) How long is the grace period after the OPT period 60 days or 6 months (some people tell that)?
3) Can I work in the grace period (60 days or 6 months)?
4) If I enroll in a PhD program my visa status will change to F1. In my F1 status, Is there any chance for me to work full time in a company or do an intern in that company?
5) If a company offers me a job and process my H1 application in the month of April, Is there any way I can start working before Oct 1 2005?

I apologise for asking too many questions.

ImmigAttyLana

1) whats the probability for increasing the H1 cap for the students who did there MS and PhD in US?
THERE ARE NO CURRENT PROVISIONS FOR THIS SO YOU SHOULD NOT COUNT ON THIS
2) How long is the grace period after the OPT period 60 days or 6 months (some people tell that)?
60 DAYS
3) Can I work in the grace period (60 days or 6 months)?
NO, YOU MAY NOT WORK AFTER THE EXPIRATION DATE OF YOUR OPT EAD.
4) If I enroll in a PhD program my visa status will change to F1. In my F1 status, Is there any chance for me to work full time in a company or do an intern in that company?
NO, YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO WORK FULLTIME IF YOU ARE PHD STUDENT SINCE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE A FULLTIME STUDENT IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN YOUR F-1 STATUS.
5) If a company offers me a job and process my H1 application in the month of April, Is there any way I can start working before Oct 1 2005?
NO, BECAUSE THE REQUESTED START DATE OF EMPLOYMENT CAN BE NO EARLIER THAN 10.1.05 SINCE THAT IS THE FIRST DATE THAT MORE VISAS WILL BE AVAILABLE IN THE H-1B CLASSIFICATION. YOUR ONLY HOPE BETWEEN NOW AND THEN IS TO GET A JOB WITH AN EMPLOYER THAT IS EXEMPT FROM THE H-1B CAP (UNIVERSITY, RESEARCH ORGANIZATION, ETC. THAT QUALIFIES FOR THIS STATUS UNDER THE LAW)

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS OR NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE WITH THIS MATTER.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">