• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rep;acing Social Security card for Permanent Resident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chrisdebf

Replacing Social Security card for Permanent Resident

I am a Permanent Resident of the U.S.A, after coming to this country via a marriage visa, year`s ago.
A long time ago, i lost my wallet, which had my social security card in.
I went to the local social security office to obtain a new one, but they told me, as my work authorization
card has expired, they are unable to give me a new social security card. They tell me that i have to complete a new
I-765 form, with a fee of $400, receive my new work authorization card, and then, they will give me a new social
security card. I was beginning to fill the form in (I-765), until i got stuck at the Eligibility catergory. I looked online
for the "who may file form I-765?", and the only thing i see is where it say`s, "temporary resident+". It got even more
confusing when i tried to see what i was suppose to look for, and i could not see anything relating to my status, "Permanent Resident".
Can anyone help me with what i a, suppose to put in the Eligibility Category fields, where the form say`s, Eligibility Category?
Also, can someone tell me if the social security office is correct, even when i showed them my new driver`s license, my
old expired work authorization card, and a trans-script of my spouse`s tax paper`s, showing my name and social security nunber,
that they said i still needed to complete form, I-765? If not, can anyone tell me what i have to do, and if the I-765 is not
the one i am supposing to use, then which form do i need to complete, to get a new social security card?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am a Permanent Resident of the U.S.A, after coming to this country via a marriage visa, year`s ago.
I went to the local social security office to obtain a new one, but they told me, as my work authorization
card has expired, they are unable to give me a new social security card. They tell me that i have to complete a new
I-765 form, with a fee of $400, receive my new work authorization card, and then, they will give me a new social
security card. I was beginning to fill the form in (I-765), until i got stuck at the Eligibility catergory. I looked online
for the "who may file form I-765?", and the only thing i see is where it say`s, "temporary resident+". It got even more
confusing when i tried to see what i was suppose to look for, and i could not see anything relating to my status, "Permanent Resident".
Can anyone help me with what i a, suppose to put in the fields, where the form say`s, Eligibility catergory?
Also, can someone tell me if the social security office is correct, even when i showed them my new driver`s license, my
old expired work authorization card, and a trans-script of my spouse`s tax paper`s, showing my name and social security nunber,
that they said i still needed to complete form, I-765? If not, can anyone tell me what i have to do, and if the I-765 is not
the one i am supposing to use, then which form do i need to complete, to get a new social security card?
I'm fairly certain that the folks at the Social Security office could answer all of these questions for you - and probably more accurately than we could.

LdiJ

Can anyone help me with what i a, suppose to put in the fields, where the form say`s, Eligibility catergory?
By "work authorization card" do you mean your green card or something else? If your green card has expired you probably do need to renew it, but you do not use form I-765 to renew a green card, you use form I-551. Since you state you are a permanent residence you should have a green card, and the green card is what you should be showing the SSN.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">