• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Residen alien vs non resident alien.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TN_worker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I lost my 401(k) benefits because in the company plan says that "Expatriates and non resident aliens" are not allowed to participate in the plan.
I am on a TN visa and for tax purposes I am a resident alien, Is there a difference between my migration status and my tax status? In case it is which one aplies to get benefits.

Thanks!

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I lost my 401(k) benefits because in the company plan says that "Expatriates and non resident aliens" are not allowed to participate in the plan.
I am on a TN visa and for tax purposes I am a resident alien, Is there a difference between my migration status and my tax status? In case it is which one aplies to get benefits.

Thanks!
There are differences between the tax definition of 'resident' and the immigration definition.
However, this should not make a difference to your 401K participation. 'non resident alien' is only a tax status question, and you are (and should be) a resident alien for tax purposes.

You should take this up with the company, and not be shut out from this benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">