• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Returning to the US after more then 180 day's as an LPR ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ruediger

Basics:
Marriage to an US Citizen, in 05-2009 (Wisconsin)
Green Card with restrictions good for 2 years, in 01/2010 (Wisconsin)
Permanent Resident Card without restrictions good for 10 years, in 2012 (Wisconsin)
Leaving to Germany because of health issue of my mom, on 09/11/2015 (I got 3 month of family leave from my old company, till 12/04/2015) (Wisconsin)
My wife filing for Divorce, on 09/23/2015 and Divorce granted, in 01/25/2016 (Wisconsin)
I did a change of address 10 day's after the Divorce was final to my step-son in Texas, San Antonio

I am in Germany since Sep. 11th. 2015 because of health problems of my mom. In the mean time my wife filed for divorce and she said that she want nothing to do with me anymore, because I left to see my sick mom. My (ex) wife did cancel our shared bank-account and she took me of from the house lease(renting). And she did refinanced the Car I owed with my father in law. I do know that my ex is filing Tax for last year in both of our names. But the problem is, that she don't talk with me anymore, and I do not get any copy.s from here regarding Tax, and any other bills I might still be on, too. She did forbid everyone in her family to talk to me. So I don,t know what I can do, to return to the US in start a life on my own. My step-son, in Texas where I was planing to live with, called in the last moment of so that I could not book a return flight.
The whole situation is so difficult that I just need some answer and advice. What do I need to coming back to the stades ?
Thank you so much for your time and your help!

Warm regards
Ruediger

FlyingRon

It would very much depend on when you are returning. If you go for a full year, then you'll need a returning resident visa. Even at six months you're likely to be held up on admission when they try to decide if you are legitimately a permanent resident or if you've abandoned it. A green card is not a substitute for a visa. It's for people who actually intend to reside in the US.

Ruediger

I am planing on going back at the end of April

It would very much depend on when you are returning. If you go for a full year, then you'll need a returning resident visa. Even at six months you're likely to be held up on admission when they try to decide if you are legitimately a permanent resident or if you've abandoned it. A green card is not a substitute for a visa. It's for people who actually intend to reside in the US.[/QUOT

OHRoadwarrior

Go to the US Embassy and see if you can get a return waiver. Otherwise, you are throwing yourself at the mercy of immigration at your port of entry to grant it. Your sponsor is still financially obligated until you reach 10 years. The proper procedure would have been to get the paperwork to return before you left. You are well within the time it would have been granted so I do not foresee a problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">