• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I be able to enter the US after overstaying as child ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lucas alves

Hello!

I went to the US in 2010 with my parents when I was 14 years old. In 2013, when I was 17 years old, we went back to our country. We had a B2 visa. Therefore, I overstayed for more than 2 years. However, I was underage when I left the US.

There is an immigrant law that says: "212a9B ALIENS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT iii Exceptions I Minors.-No period of time in which an alien is under 18 years of age shall be taken into account in determining the period of unlawful presence in the United States."

Given that, I did not receive the ten-year bar. Today, 4 years later, I want to go back there to visit the country. I have the B2 visa still valid, enough money and a great job. I know I have to apply for a new visa. If I succed in getting a new visa, will I have any issue in the airport in the US? Will I have problems trying to enter the US?

Thanks!!!

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Hello!

I went to the US in 2010 with my parents when I was 14 years old. In 2013, when I was 17 years old, we went back to our country. We had a B2 visa. Therefore, I overstayed for more than 2 years. However, I was underage when I left the US.

There is an immigrant law that says: "212a9B ALIENS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT iii Exceptions I Minors.-No period of time in which an alien is under 18 years of age shall be taken into account in determining the period of unlawful presence in the United States."

Given that, I did not receive the ten-year bar. Today, 4 years later, I want to go back there to visit the country. I have the B2 visa still valid, enough money and a great job. I know I have to apply for a new visa. If I succed in getting a new visa, will I have any issue in the airport in the US? Will I have problems trying to enter the US?

Thanks!!!
As things stand right now, you should be fine. The law is pretty clear, with the intention of not punishing minors who had no choice about their location or circumstances. I can't say what the law will be in two months, or two years, from now.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">