• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

So my dad asked me to joint sponsor his lover...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SweetBro

Me: 22 year old techie living in San Francisco. I make $90k a year, have $8k in savings, $12k student loans, and pay $2k rent a month. I plan to leave my job in a year, using it's IPO to fund my own business.
Dad: 62, retired, living in FL. For what it's worth, he co-signed on $8k of my student loans. He claims that a friend was going to sponsor her as he did before when she visited, but can no longer due so since he lost his job, but will also fill out the joint sponsor form when he finds a new one, and needs me to do it now because the appointment is at the end of the month. He claims he's gonna marry her so she would become a citizen in 3 years.
Her: 51, seemed like a reasonable person. I met her once for a week when I was visiting my dad and he was staying there. She doesn't speak much English, but runs a business in Russia (I don't know what kind though).
My dad says I will basically be last in line for collection, though I don't know how accurate that is. As far as I can tell the government can go after any of us for payments regardless of who's the primary sponsor. Is this accurate?
I'm concerned about what would happen if she got sick. Does my bank account basically become her insurance provider? And I'm also afraid that if I have to start making payments when I'm starting my business, it would cause it to fail and I would lose all the money I would have sunk into it. How accurate is my understanding of this? Is this something I should speak to a local attorney about? Is there anyway I could reduce my sponsor obligation to a year or so?
Dear gawd what should I do... I worked really hard to claw my way up from poverty to get here, and I'm afraid this could cause my to drop right back down through no fault of my own.

Proserpina

Me: 22 year old techie living in San Francisco. I make $90k a year, have $8k in savings, $12k student loans, and pay $2k rent a month. I plan to leave my job in a year, using it's IPO to fund my own business.
Dad: 62, retired, living in FL. For what it's worth, he co-signed on $8k of my student loans. He claims that a friend was going to sponsor her as he did before when she visited, but can no longer due so since he lost his job, but will also fill out the joint sponsor form when he finds a new one, and needs me to do it now because the appointment is at the end of the month. He claims he's gonna marry her so she would become a citizen in 3 years.
Her: 51, seemed like a reasonable person. I met her once for a week when I was visiting my dad and he was staying there. She doesn't speak much English, but runs a business in Russia (I don't know what kind though).
My dad says I will basically be last in line for collection, though I don't know how accurate that is. As far as I can tell the government can go after any of us for payments regardless of who's the primary sponsor. Is this accurate?
I'm concerned about what would happen if she got sick. Does my bank account basically become her insurance provider? And I'm also afraid that if I have to start making payments when I'm starting my business, it would cause it to fail and I would lose all the money I would have sunk into it. How accurate is my understanding of this? Is this something I should speak to a local attorney about? Is there anyway I could reduce my sponsor obligation to a year or so?
Dear gawd what should I do... I worked really hard to claw my way up from poverty to get here, and I'm afraid this could cause my to drop right back down through no fault of my own.
The obligation exists until one of these conditions is met:

1. She dies
2. She abandons her residency
3. She naturalizes
4. She earns 40 qualifying SS quarters or,
5. You die.

I strongly advise you against this course of action unless you're comfortable knowing that you could be on the hook to support her indefinitely.

t74

He cannot substitute for your sponsorship at a later date. You are committed for the long term - even if they divorce. In addition, she can sue to be supported to 125% of the federal poverty level.

His friend likely realized the long term commitment and is , IMO, better off backing out completely.

Given the age difference, is your father possibly being taken advantage of by a mail-order bride scam?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">